Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Very Pinteresty Sort of Night

While clearly very busy and focused at work this afternoon, I spent some quality time looking up  recipes on Pinterest and settled on some that would have had potential to be healthy except that they were fried.  I decided it was worth a shot and how bad is frying something for you really?  :P

So I have never actually fried anything in my life save for this one time in college when I attempted to make Indian food with my friend Megan, resulting in scalding paneer cheese literally flying across the room while I just screamed and ducked like a fool.  So needless to say, my frying experiences have not rendered me a seasoned chef.  My house smelled for a week.  My roommates loved me.  But alas, this fried meal was a 50% success.

Very pretty original photo

I made "Crispy Honey Ginger Chicken" with Cauliflower "tater tots".   Here is a comparison of the original photo of the chicken and my own:


Not quite as pretty but still delicious
 It's not too bad considering I don't have a fancy camera or lighting or anything.  Not as goldeny but still very crispy and delicious with minimal clean up.  Here is the recipe, copy and pasted from Rock Recipes:


4  large boneless chicken breasts
 
Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, pound the meat to an even 1/2 inch thickness. Alternatively, you can slice the breasts by placing them flat on a cutting board and using a very sharp knife to slice them into halves horizontally.

Sift together:

  2 cup flour
4 tsp salt
4 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp ground sage
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Make an egg wash by whisking together:

4 eggs
8 tbsp water

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dip the meat in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the breast into the eggwash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the meat to get good contact.

Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom. You will want to carefully regulate the temperature here so that the chicken does not brown too quickly. The thinness of the breast meat practically guarantees that it will be fully cooked by the time the outside is browned. I find just below medium heat works well. I use a burner setting of about 4 1/2 out of 10 on the dial and fry them gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.

Drain on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before dipping the cooked breasts into the Honey Garlic Sauce. Serve with noodles or rice.

Honey Garlic Sauce

In a medium saucepan add

2 tbsp olive oil
3 – 4 cloves minced garlic

Cook over medium heat to soften the garlic but do not let it brown. Add:

1 cup honey
¼ cup soya sauce (low sodium soya sauce is best)
1 tsp ground black pepper

Simmer together for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Watch this carefully as it simmers because it can foam up over the pot very easily.

So then I made these Cauliflower Tater Tots.  I have been a huge fan of cauliflower mashed potatoes whenever I'm trying to eat healthy so these seemed worth a try.  Truthfully, they could have been really good, but I don't think I did them right.  If you want to try to make them, go to The Daily Meal.

Here is an original vs. mine picture of this so you can see my epic fail in action.  Seriously not worth the disaster it created in my kitchen nor the time involved: 

Beautiful Original Version

Embarrassing. 
  

OK so even though it took me an eternity to make these stupid cauliflower bites that just ended up tasting like friedness (you know what I mean... all oily), and then it took me another eternity to clean the mess ( I still think things are coated in oil), I had to persevere with my Pinterest meal evening and make the banana soft serve I was already freezing bananas for.  This, I must say was a huge success and sooo easy!  Only problem?  If you're allergic to bananas, you probably shouldn't eat 3 of them for dessert.  My freakin throat is the size of a baseball bat right now and my lips feel like they are breaking out in hives.  

Original image

Mine!  Victory!


All you have to do to make this delicious dessert is slice up some ripe bananas and freeze them.  Once they are frozen, you stick em in a blender, scraping down the sides until it's all mashy and wonderful.  It only took about 5 minutes!  Would be delicious with chocolate.    Taken from Come Together Kids.


Nothing interesting happened in my life today other than this Pinterestness.  I'm OK with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment