Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sundried Tomato and Basil Cream Chicken over Pasta

I was too busy enjoying summer to do anything worth posting this weekend.  Gotta love days in the sun spent boating and summer festing.  I'd say my summer life is like living in a vacation except for the week day work.  Saw my friends' band on Saturday for the first time in a while and they were excellent.  Looking forward to their next album.  I don't say that about all of my friends' bands.  I actually genuinely like The Workhorse Kings.

Anyway, yesterday I worked on one of my novels most of the day and really feel like I'm getting somewhere with it, which is awesome.  I can't imagine how cool it would be if it were to get published, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Ugh, my writing right now is so bland.  Maybe I drained myself yesterday.  In any case, I grocery shopped after work today which meant I could cook again.  Here is the delicious result.

Sundried Tomato Basil Cream Chicken over Whole Wheat Pasta 


Sundried Tomato Chicken over Pasta

Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings depending on how much you eat :) ): 

2 chicken breasts (I used the thinner ones) 
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup onions, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (in package, NOT oil packed) - I actually used oil      packed and they were fine
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup regular cream
1/4 16 ounce package whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked - I used shells :) 



Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken & grind fresh pepper on each side. Cover & cook until done, about 5 minutes on each side.  Remove from heat and set aside, keeping covered.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, & shallots, cooking 1-2 minutes, just until soft.  Add sun dried tomatoes; stir. With a whisk in hand,  add flour & stir.  Slowly pour in chicken broth, whisking constantly to remove any lumps.  Add cream, still whisking.  Continue whisking for 3-4 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.  Take off heat and let sit; it will continue to thicken, feel free to stir every so often as you cook the pasta.


Also meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  

Place noodles on serving plates, placing chicken directly on top of noodles.  Spoon as much sauce as you would like over chicken & noodles.  Sprinkle with fresh basil.  



Edited from Gabbi's Kitchen
OK, now I guess I have to stop putting off doing the dishes.  .  



No comments:

Post a Comment