Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Whole Bunch of New Recipes

There is a Tim Burton marathon on ABC Family right now and it's causing my mind to completely melt.  I keep trying to do productive things like clean and do laundry, but it's happening very slowly.  So I'll share a few recipes I made yesterday with you.

This first one is one of my childhood favorites that I used to have all the time when I stayed at my grandma's so it's dear to my heart.  I started making it again for myself after I moved out and thought it's worth sharing as a healthy and easy breakfast recipe.  I call it simply, Eggs in a Glass.

Eggs in a glass is quite simple.  They are in a glass because you need something to press the egg against as you mash it so a narrow glass works well.  You can add a variety of ingredients.  At my grandma's we only used salt and pepper and butter, but I've spiced it up a bit over the years.

Eggs in a Glass 


3 hard boiled eggs (or however many you want)
1 tbs butter
1 tbs shredded cheese (I used Mexican for this one)
Chipotle Tabasco to taste (regular is good, too)
Salt and Pepper to taste

I've added diced ham when I have it laying around, too.  It's delicious.  You could obviously mix anything you want.  All you do is peel the hard boiled eggs and put them in the bottom of the glass.



Make sure you didn't miss any pieces of shell.  Add the butter and let it melt a bit against the eggs while you add the remaining ingredients.

Keep pressing the eggs against the glass with a fork until it resembles something more like scrambled eggs.   Make sure all of the ingredients are mixed well.  You will seriously love this recipe if you like eggs.


Eggs in a Glass



The next thing is what I had along with my eggs yesterday morning.  Sometimes you get bored just having regular coffee every day (OK not really.  I've been doing it for years).  But anyway, I wanted to try to make a sort of Frappucino.  A healthy variety.  I saw something about freezing coffee and blending it on Pinterest.  This came out very good, but I would recommend freezing the coffee in smaller cubes rather than one big container.  It took a really long time for the blender to be able to work with the massive coffee cube I had.  

Just take frozen coffee of your choice (I happened to make coffee the other day but was out of cream so I just threw it in a container in the freezer and went to Starbucks) and blend it with cinnamon, as much cream as you'd like, and a bit of vanilla extract.  It was a refreshing coffee treat without all of the calories.  

Healthy Frozen Blended Coffee Beverage.

If you haven't noticed, I am a big fan of my cold beverage Starbucks cups.  I take them everywhere.  Especially the venti sized ones.  

OK last but not least, I was going to a BBQ, which obviously meant I should make cupcakes.  I love any excuse to make cupcakes.  I had seen a watermelon cake online and wanted to replicate it into cupcakes, but I had trouble finding all of the necessary ingredients and found myself doing a lot of improvising.  They turned out pretty good though.  

I tried using Ketchup cups that I bought at Michael's because you can make them on a cookie tray instead of little muffin tins, which I assumed would be a time saver,  but they were a lot more difficult to get the cupcakes out of.  

Watermelon Cupcakes


Watermelon Cupcakes: 

Ingredients: 

1 box white cake mix 
1 3 oz box watermelon flavored Jell-O (They did not have this at two different stores I went to, so I just used some strawberry an upped the watermelon puree) 
1 cup watermelon puree (the recipe called for half a cup puree and half a cup water but because I didn't have not have the right Jell-O flavor, I doubled the puree in place of water as it was very watery anyway) 
1/2 cup oil 
4 eggs 
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended.  They are cute and add a different element to the cupcakes) 
Red food coloring (optional ... the cake will already be pink, but this makes it darker) 

Frosting: 

1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter 
5 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tbs watermelon puree (I used a lot more than this which resulted in better watermelon flavor, but much thinner consistency) 
Red and green food coloring 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place ketchup containers or cupcake liners in muffin tins (or ketchup containers on a baking sheet) 

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and Jell-O. Add oil; mix on medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add watermelon puree and beat until blended. Add red food coloring a little at a time, until you reach desired color. Place chocolate chips and a teaspoon of flour in a ziploc bag; shake to coat. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter. Pour into mini cake cups and bake for about 25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes clean.  Keep checking back regularly).  Let cool completely before frosting.  

For the frosting, 

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together. Beat in watermelon puree. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth. Color 1/3 of the frosting green, color the remaining 2/3 the same color as the cake. (I don't think I'd recommend putting green food coloring in this frosting as there is a lot of pink to it naturally and I think the result would be brown.  I made separate plain frosting and died it green for the edges.  It was also a firmer consistency which made it easier to shape them)  

Decorate first by coating each completely cooled cupcakes with the red watermelon flavored icing.  Using a star tip, ring each cupcake with the green frosting.   Finish by sprinkling the cupcakes with chocolate chip "seeds".    Definitely a hit!









No comments:

Post a Comment